But it's not about the pretty pink walls (Benjamin Moore Soft White fyi). Rather than just post photos and tell you all the boring details about cabinets and tile and appliances, I thought I could let you know a little more about myself all pertaining to the kitchen. So here it goes - 10 points about me via the kitchen.
1. I do colour - but I also love the classic black/white combination. I think the kitchen strikes a balance.
2. Sweet peas are my favourite flower - there's a few sitting on the window sill as seen in the photos. The remind me of summer days at my grandma's house. She had a gorgeous flower garden and I was always allowed to pick as many as I wanted. Their fragrance is just perfect.
3. I love tomatoes. They are right up there as a favourite veggie. Currently my go to breakfast is two poached eggs and sliced tomatoes (with a heavy dose of salt from my amazing Peugot grinder). The tomato plant on the counter are pieces I broke off my huge plants this year. Seriously nothing but tomatoes are growing out that window- no peas, no carrots. My love of gardening came from my other grandma - who had a wicked veggie garden - we were always allowed to pick and eat as much as we could. These days I love having a quick produce snack with my girls as we play in the back yard.
4. I love coffee. We use a french press (bodum - same green as our kettle) and drink exclusively Kicking Horse Coffee. Smart Ass and Decaf to be specific. I'm trying to drink more decaf than caff but everyday calls for something different.
5. I like to cook but I find 'gourmet' gets done seldom with the girls and our busy schedules. We rarely do take out or freezer meals. I'm big into fresh and organic whenever possible. Our gas cook top is perfect. Our go to cookbook is Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution followed closely by How to Feed a Family.
7. I am all about the paper and pencil scheduler. No pens allowed! I have the hubby trained to look at it and to even write his goings on in it.
8. I'm an Alberta girl born and raised and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I love the Alberta magnet (which I taped to the wall instead) from North Birch Grove. This one had plans to be in my office but it found it's way here instead. The love print is from Little Me Paper Co and I did the two watercolors.
9. Yes we still have a home phone - for grannies, to screen telemarketers, and for emergencies. It's much easier for our five year old or the babysitter to dial 911 from that and not have to remember our cell-phone access codes or our address. Hubs is a paramedic and they've spent many a time trying to locate a patient. It's not like the movies people - it takes way more work to triangulate your cell phone than you think - hours. HOURS! (Ok, safety rant over).
10. Getting my kitchen to this state took a long time. Dinner, clean & dishes away. Breakfast, clean & dishes away. Snack - clean & dishes away. Photo time - deal with bickering children. As you'll see there aren't photos of our island. That's because well... because I have a two and five year old and just ran out of steam to get that totally cleared off. We are not clear counter people. I can't be too fussed over some dishes drying next to the sink or a few papers piled on the counter. We're living life not busy cleaning up after it.
I'm sure I could have found you another 10 things that involve me and the kitchen but let's leave it at that. What about your kitchen makes it personal to you? What things do you have to invoke memory and nostalgia?
And if you want to know the boring stuff:
Shaker Cabinets: Superior Cabinets
Granite Counters: Icon Stone & Tile - Ice Brown
Glass Mosaic Backsplash: Universal Slate
Appliances - GE