We were fortunate during our renovation to build a better entry than what was previously there. In our tiny bungalow it's still not the biggest space but with ample storage I feel like most days the chaos is somewhat controlled. Each of us has one or two bins dedicated to our own gear. That means when my oldest requests her pink mitts with the snowflakes on them (nothing else will do), they should be right where we took them off and stashed them.
1. Look up, way up. A shelf placed just above your tallest family members height should still give you a foot or more for storage above.
2. Hooks (spray painted a very fun colour) at different heights suit the need of all family members.
3. Don't forget some cheery artwork to great you. Or, stencil a corkboard/whiteboard/chalkboard to use for important and time sensitive notes.
4. Narrow wall cubbies can stash winter gear and shoes that are worn less frequently. Use any of the numerous wall decals available to create something unique to your space.
5. A stool or chair can be used to climb for higher items or used to sit for shoe tying. Paint it a fun colour or two.
6. A colourful patterned rug helps trap dirt and debris.
And don't forget the colour - come and leave to a cheery space!